Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ups and Downs

Wouldn't it be great if life were only filled with ups? I love ups! Like the day I went on my first date with my (now) husband. The delivery day of each of my children. The day I found out my book was getting published. Even the little things, like a fun romp through the woods or a day spent on the lake or at a ski resort with my family.Ups are fabulous. Ups are divine!

Downs, on the hand, are not so fine. You know what I'm talking about. The kind of days or episodes that tend to bring out your worst emotions: anger, despair, and fear. I would love nothing more than to bury them deep in the earth and stomp on the grave for emphasis. I realize that without the downs, we wouldn't learn or grow or appreciate the ups, but that doesn't seem to improve my opinion of them.Downs stink.

Having a book released to the market adds an entirely new dimension to this phenomenon. It's kind of like that ride at Magic Mountain, called  the X, where your seats are doing forward and backward flips while still following the track of an extreme coaster. I got to experience the ride a few years ago. It was thrilling and scary--definitely a wild ride. I compare it to my life at the moment because in addition to the regular ups and downs of raising children, I now get to experience the ups and downs of other people's opinions of my writing. It has been both thrilling and scary, but in the end, I hope the journey takes me for a wild ride, leaving me breathless and wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment