Sunday, August 15, 2010

Camping and Perseids

So I'm not much of a camper. Hiking and enjoying nature and the great outdoors, yes, but sleeping overnight in a freezing cold tent and wondering what wild animals are lurking just outside--not so much. I've actually done a great job of avoiding this particular activity for about five years now, but last week, some friends called with an invite and my husband said yes. Traitor.

For my kids' sake, I went. And even though I shivered all night long and couldn't sleep, I have to say that I had a great time. There's something about being away from everything, alone with family and friends in the middle of nowhere. No cell phones, no Wii, no TV, no bathrooms (I missed that one!), no light pollution, and, believe it or not, almost no fighting.

It was wonderful and timed perfectly with the Perseids meteor shower. We (the adults) stayed up until two in the morning talking by the fire and watching meteors blitz across the sky. I found a peace and calm that had been absent for awhile, hiding behind the chaos and busyness that accompanies summer. It was rejuvenating.

And it made me think that someday, sometime, I might go camping again.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear you. Camping lost its appeal when I grew up because now I'm in charge and I'm not oblivious to the dangers of the wilderness. Bear spray, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! If only there was such a thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make me feel like such a wimp for chickening out on the ONE night stay at the ward campout! How fun to see a meteor shower!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading your posting. There is something about being in the mountains and feeling peaceful...seems MORE peaceful and serene though when you aren't cold!

    ReplyDelete