Monday, October 25, 2010

Introducing . . . Kay'sVille! (It's almost here!)

I just can't say enough good about Sheralyn or her Rhea Jensen series. I love all of her books--especially Kay'sVille. Yes, you read right. Kay'sVille. I felt so honored when Sheralyn offered to let me read the 4th book before it hits the stores. And I have to say that I loved it--probably more than any of the others. And that's saying something.

Just to warn you, Kay'sVille is definitely heavier, but gripping, emotional, and really well written. I loved the peek into Kay and Rhea's pasts, the strong bond of friendships, and the growth of all the characters. I loved how they were human, made mistakes, and conquered fears. I loved it all. Well, except for the fact that I now feel like the most unfashionable person alive. :)

So I figured I'd ask Sheralyn a few questions about Kay'sVille, so everyone can get a sneak-peak about the wonderful tale awaiting them. Keep in mind, though, that I won't allow her to give anything away. The story is for Kay to tell--not Sheralyn. :) (In case you were wondering, I really think Sheralyn might have multiple personality disorder, but shhhh, don't tell her I said that.)

Me: So Sheralyn, things were going so well with Rhea. She's a fabulous story-teller with an exciting life. Why the sudden switch to Kay?

Sheralyn: If you want the rest of the books in the Rhea series to make sense (as to why Rhea does what she does and makes certain choices), you need to understand her relationship with Kay and its significance in Rhea's life.

Kay'sVille is like Kay interrupting her best friend's story to say, "Hi. I'm interrupting your regularly scheduled programming to tell you a few things you should know before reading more about my friend."

Me: Love it. There really is no one more qualified to interrupt a story, is there? And what a great interruption it was! I loved finally getting a glimpse inside Kay's head--to learn more about her and what events transpired in her life to make her who she is. Tell me, did you know all of Kay's history when you began the Rhea Jensen series? Why did you wait until the 4th book to let us learn more about her and her past?

Sheralyn: Oooh! Good questions :) Yes, Kay came to me pretty fully formed. I didn't know all her back story on the first day we "met," but I sensed the deep waters she brought to the game, and her character never wavered. It just waited for me to ask the right questions before filling me in.

As for why I waited for the 4th book to approach the past, it was simply because Rhea was never going to talk about any of what's included in it. Ever. In typical Rhea fashion, she was going to skim and just start the story up again at Book 5. Kay kind of kicked her out of the way for this installment to say, "I could care less what you (readers) think about me, but if Rhea's going to tell you the rest of what happens, then you HAVE to know this. Otherwise, what she does simply won't make sense at some points."

Someone had to step up to fill in the blanks for readers, and that character was Kay--which also happens to be the only character Rhea can't make shut up. Pretty handy.

Me: I don't know about everyone else, but personally, I love Kay. She's definitely rough around the edges, but she a rare breed that actually speaks her mind, doesn't care what people think, and she's fiercely loyal to her friends. And reading Kay'sVille only made me like her more. How did you like writing this book from her perspective?

Sheralyn: Wow. I love Kay. As in love-love-love Kay. She's one of those people who feels every hit life gives her very deeply. She TRIES to put on armor in the form of attitudes, fashion, and snarky banter, but the truth of the matter is that she cares. Even better than that, she works hard to right wrongs. She's a mover and a shaker with no respect for obstacles, or rules with no functional purpose. She lives life out loud, and there's something beautiful about that.

Me: I couldn't agree more! You've mentioned that you could write another 2-3 books in the Rhea Jensen series. If so, (and I hope you do), would you switch back to Rhea's perspective, or does Kay plan on sharing her thoughts with us again?

Sheralyn: Interesting question. At the moment, it's all Rhea's perspective on the future novels. With the information Kay arms you with, you really don't need to hear from her again, because you'll know enough about Kay from this book to pick up what she's putting down through Rhea in future books. Technically, there's not reason for Kay to "interrupt" a story again. That said, I'm not opposed to writing from Kay's perspective. I love her voice!

Me: I'm definitely looking forward to reading more, and I wish you would write faster! Thanks for answering all the questions with your typical fun and witty Sheralyn style. As for everyone else, I hope you enjoy Kay'sVille as much as I did! Look for it in December and click here to learn more.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview! I simply can't wait to read it and I am jealous you got to read it before me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interview! I am So Stoked for Kay'sVille to hit the shelves. I love her honesty, humor, and guts and can't wait for her full story in print to be in my hot little hands :)! The upcoming Rhea books will no doubt rock the house, but I'm also chomping at the bit for the other stories percolating in Sheralyn's amazing writing mind. Write on, girl - can't wait to see the stories you bring to us next!!!

    ReplyDelete