Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wakesurfing

Okay, so I'm officially addicted to wakesurfing. If you don't know what that is, here's a little video on how it works:



For people who don't live near an ocean (and who, like me, are skittish around large waves in the ocean), this is a fun little way to experience surfing--although I'm pretty sure nothing compares to catching a good ocean wave.

I started off wakeboarding, but soon realized that in order to get good, I would probably have to suffer through several concussions (I'm a slow learner), so I gave wakesurfing a shot. Since the boat is only going 10mph, vs 25mph, the water provides a much softer landing.

Eventually, I learned how to get up, crashed several times (but it didn't hurt!), and now I love it. No, I'm not good enough to let go of the rope yet, but someday I plan on getting there. In the meantime, I enjoy the sun, the beauty of the lake, my family, and a sport I enjoy doing that doesn't give me a headache when I fall. If you ever get the chance, give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Looks WAY fun. I grew up water-skiing, even though I was never great. BUT if you need a partner for inner-tube war? I'm your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Rachael, my family is big time wakeboarders. Hubby has done wakesurfing too and likes that, but alas, our boat isn't one of the big super expensive nice ones. It's an outboard, and if we wakesurfed, well, we'd be chopped into tiny pieces. You get the picture.
    Awesome that you're getting into it! Have fun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete