Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Holes, Holes, and More Holes.

Let's just say I now have a whole new respect for any and all mystery/suspense writers. And all it took was a jaunt in their shoes. Well, more like a marathon--one I'm not even close to finishing yet.

Lately, I've been feeling like a carpenter working on the walls of a house. In a daycare center. Once I finally think I'm finally ready to texture and paint, a hole appears, or is pointed out to me. So I work on a way to patch that, only to have several more holes come as a result.

It's like "This is the Song that Never Ends" kind of annoying, but I keep wracking my brain--keep bugging my hubby, sisters, friends, for help. Eventually, I will get there (or at least valiantly try to). I'm too invested not to finish it now. But when I finally do, if this romantic paranormal suspense ends up being completely predictable, scratched and dented, well, just know that many of my brain cells were sacrificed in the process.

In the meantime, I'm off to do some more patching.

4 comments:

  1. I'm doing the SAME thing. I FINALLY finished a rough draft, and yep. More holes. I've re-written the first half, and I'm cringing at the THOUGHT of sending it to more people to see what they may have to say . . .

    WAY hard.

    I'm thinking this'll be a one-time thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistance :) As frustrating as it sounds, as long as you keep at it eventually there won't be any place left for a hole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up and that wall will eventually smooth out. Yay for a new venture for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the creative, double use of holes! If u want another pair of eyes on your manuscript, I'd be happy to help out.

    ReplyDelete