Monday, August 29, 2011

Pam Allyn's, "Your Child's Writing Life"

This phenomenal book is packed full of gems. Pam writes with wisdom, compassion, respect, and humor--the kind of writing that sucked me in from the first page. One second I was smiling, the next tearing up because something touched me, and I came away wishing Pam could teach my children.

But she can't. Which is one of the reasons I love her book so much. Because she's empowered me to teach and understand my children the same way she'd teach them--through love and listening, and showing them I have a genuine interest in what they have to say.

As a writer myself, I know the importance of putting thoughts into words and expressing oneself, but I never considered how vital it is for a child to learn the same at a young age. Yes, I love it when one of my children brings home their writing journals or stories they've created. I always read them and smile in prideful admiration. But thanks to Pam, I'll now be able to look at them with new respect, beyond the words and into my child's mind and heart, and think, Wow.

In Pam's beautifully written words:

From birth, your child has been working furiously to deconstruct the code of language and to form new understandings. When the child goes to the page to write for the first time, he furrows his brow, and with courage he begins. The scribbles on the page look strange to you, peering down as you do from your adult universe. But to the child, they are the electric beginnings of a precious gift you have given: his writing life.

Thank you, Pam, for giving me this gift.

For more information about Pam and her books, visit: pamallyn.com/books/

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an awesome book! If only it had been around when I was a kid ;)

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and reviewed this book awhile back and loved it too. It's packed full of great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete