Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Moderation is a Beautiful Thing

Being both a writer and a mom is crazy sometimes. Actually, it's crazy all the time, even without trying to find the time to write. And when I manage to find a few spare minutes, there is ALWAYS some sort of interruption. Guaranteed. Kids, phone calls, toilets over-flooding, you name it, it happens. Even at night, when the kids are supposed to be in bed.

So when I injured myself this past summer and required surgery, I was actually excited. Not for the surgery/recovery part, of course, but for the week my wonderful in-laws took my kids. Which left me with . . .

That's right--Hours and hours of uninterrupted (if you don't count my husband) writing time. Nearly a week in fact.

Awesome, right???

Or so I thought.

After a few days, I realized something. I don't like to write ALL the time. In fact, I don't like to do anything ALL of the time. Except maybe laundry.

Joking.

So on days like today when craziness keeps popping up like those goofy looking creatures in Wac-a-Mole, and my writing time is quickly shaved away, I try to remember that it's good I'm forced to divide up my time. A blessing in fact.

Right??? (Sometimes I need this validated. :))

5 comments:

  1. I'm the SAME way. I THINK I need/want hours and hours of time, and I really don't.

    LOVE the new look :D

    Right now it's the middle of the afternoon, my son is watching the backyardigans on my bed, while spilling crumbs of goldfish on my sheets.
    Mike is home sick from work today, I'm checking blogs and writing.
    As much as I love quiet, uninterrupted time, I like this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It is a blessing to be drawn away from our writing. It gives us time to decompress and for our written word to fester. The best part is having fresh eyes to look at a scene that you thought was perfect and finding out it sucks (not that I know this from experience or anything... riiiight).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything good in our life is a blessing...writing, interruptions from those we love, goldfish cracker crumbs in the bed... Taking it and loving it all just makes us better writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI RACHAEL, I'M BEGGING FOR PRINT BOOKS FOR OUR AFGHANISTAN TROOPS THAT ARE SO IN NEED, IF YOU CAN HELP PLEASE SHOOT ME AN EMAIL TO linda_bass@sbcglobal.net, ANY AND ALL ARE WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to say that I enjoyed reading this in my email this morning because it is true. Although, I do have to say I could use just a little bit more free time (with no demands) once in a while, but definitely not a lot of it. :)

    ReplyDelete