Thursday, November 3, 2011

Housework Schmousework

I've spent the morning cleaning, scrubbing, folding laundry and scouring. For those of you who know me well, I'm sure you're clapping right now. For those of you who don't, know this: I despise cleaning.

I've always given myself a hard time about this fact, comparing myself to countless others who seem to keep their homes in white-glove condition, but I've finally decided that there are some benefits to not keeping up on a daily basis.

Ready?

#1 - It is much more satisfying to clean up a messy room. It may take more time, yes, but the overall sense of achievement when finished is greater. It's like the before and after pictures on a home makeover show. Big difference.

#2 - When it's untidy to begin with, you get after your children far less for making a mess.

#3 - You will feel more appreciated by your spouse and even possibly, your children. Seriously. In other words, they might actually NOTICE. (I say "might" because unfortunately, this is not a guarantee.) The change is more pronounced, and therefore, draws notice. My husband never fails to compliment when he comes home to find the house clean. He probably thinks of it a positive reinforcement, but it really isn't (shhh), because I know I wouldn't get that kind of praise if he came home to a pristine house every day.

I realize this might sound like I'm rationalizing a slightly (yes, SLIGHTLY) lazy side of myself, but I've tried to keep my house immaculate before, and let me tell you--I have never felt more under-appreciated, stressed out, or exhausted.

So, for all you over-worked and underpaid mom's out there--put down that vacuum, play with your cute kids, or pick up a good book. Save the cleaning for the day after tomorrow and live more happily ever after.

In the meantime, what's your most dreaded chore? For me, it's emptying the dishwasher.

7 comments:

  1. I hate vacuuming . . . although I just got a new vacuum with a retractable cord. It's pretty fun to watch the cord retract.

    BTW. I read Minor Adjustments. It was awesome as usual. My 15 yr. old daughter finished it in about a day. I loved your characters. I was very impressed with how realistic Ryan was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dishes. Easy.
    AND Putting away laundry. I really don't see why everyone can't just dig through the pile on the pool table - or the pile on the pool table cover on the floor - you know, for when we play pool :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate vacuuming. With several cats it's like a tornado sweeping through the house.

    My heart goes out to you. I'm so glad I don't have much company. I always warn those that come over that the maid died and to excuse the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toilets. Easy. Although I can do any chore if everyone just vacates the premesis and leaves me alone! That way they don't make MORE messes while I'm working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dread folding laundry. But I totally agree about the yelling at your kids part. On the rare occasion the house is really clean, I really get after them for any little mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a mom but I can completely relate to your post! I love a clean house but hate the effort it takes to keep it that way. I had a cleaning burst this past weekend and it mostly went unappreciated and was undone the second the hubster gets home. Sigh. I would MUCH rather cuddle up with a good book than spend my time cleaning.

    ReplyDelete