Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Kindling, by Braden Bell

Now that I have two middle-grade aged readers, I have become incredibly picky about what books I'll let them read, and because of that, I'm always on the hunt for humorous, engaging books that will also educate and inspire them to want to be better. There are a lot of books out there to choose from, but not a lot that encompass all of these things.

That's why I love Braden Bell's The Kindling. It not only captivates and educates, but it weaves a poignant message throughout its pages. I honestly can't say enough good about this book--which is why I bought it and gave it to my son to read.


Now, he's always enjoyed reading. In fact, it's become a nightly ritual for him. If he wants to stay up a little later, he can read--so he reads. But once I loaded The Kindling on his Kindle, and he read that first chapter, something out of the ordinary happened. He took it in the car and read during car rides. He read it in the morning instead of watching TV. And when he was done, he asked if there would be a sequel. It took him only 2 days to finish it. A few weeks later (after he'd read one or two other books), he came home from school with a list of "favorites." Favorite animal: a Husky dog. Favorite color: turquoise. Favorite food: pizza. Favorite book: The Kindling.

What more can I say? Other than thank you, Braden Bell!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Here's quick blurb about the book: All thirteen-year-old Connor Dell wants to do is pass pre-algebra, play lacrosse, and possibly kiss Melanie Stephens, but when a run-in with the school bully ignites strange powers inside him, Connor’s normal teenage life goes up in flames. Now he’ll need his new powers to defeat the Darkness that’s coming for him. Fast-paced and original, this book’s guaranteed to keep you guessing!

To find this book on Amazon, click here.
To read more about Braden or watch the trailer, click here.


2 comments:

  1. Awesomeness clearly runs in your family! Thanks to you and your son both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read! I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete